This soup is SO comforting and delicious, you would never guess it’s dairy free. It’s also vegan, paleo, and anti-inflammatory, in case you’re looking to check those boxes too. I don’t share recipes that often, because I make sure they taste amazing, serve some greater function nutritionally (beyond taste), and don’t take more than 30 minutes-ish to prepare. Here’s how to make it:
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup (serves 4)
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb, or about 4-6 cups of sliced mushrooms
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot or 1 small white onion or leek, diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, pulled from stem
- Optional: I like to add a dash of balsamic vinegar, 1-2 dashes of fish sauce, and a pinch of cayenne
In a large pot, saute the mushrooms, onion, salt and pepper in the avocado oil over medium heat for about 7-10 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and stir for one minute, just until fragrant. Add coconut milk, vegetable broth and thyme. Optional: add balsamic, fish sauce and cayenne. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Use an immersion blender to puree slightly, just to add some creaminess. I like to keep some bite sized mushroom pieces. Enjoy!
*Note: If you don’t have an immersion blender, you should get one! Or, you could blend a small portion of the soup in a standup blender. But be careful to let it cool slightly as the steam could cause the top to pop off.