Constipation is never fun, especially when you’re pregnant and have an a little human body crowding out your digestive tract. Laxatives are not safe during pregnancy, so what can you do?
First, make sure you’re adapting all the lifestyle factors to promote healthy bowel movements:
– drink plenty of water and fluids
– get daily exercise, even if it’s just walking
– eat enough fiber from vegetables, fruit, whole grains and legumes
– make time for a bowel movement, and try to stick to a schedule
But chances are if you’re reading this you’re desperate for help NOW. So here are some things you can try:
– sip on hot water all day
– try a cup of green tea or coffee, which have natural laxative effects
– drink a cup of chamomile tea to relax the smooth muscles in the GI tract
– eat a few dried prunes or apricots
– drink some warm (or chilled) prune juice
– try Metamucil fiber crackers
– Colace is an OTC medication that most doctors consider safe during pregnancy. You can take up to 3 per day and expect a BM within 72 hrs.
– massage your belly in an arch from lower right up to your sternum and down the left side
Hopefully, you will find some relief with these tips! I’d love to hear feedback on what’s working for you!