I’m pretty confident that this clam chowder rivals the best creamy version you’ve ever tasted. Served with a refreshing light salad, it would make a great Sunday night dinner and definitely has the wow factor to serve at a dinner party.
Don’t be intimidated by the cashew cream step. This was only my second recipe using cashew cream, but I can’t believe how easy it is to make and how well it thickens. You honestly won’t believe this soup is dairy free. This recipe is also paleo friendly, and if you’re low-carb, I bet it would work with cauliflower instead of the potato.
Please leave your rating or a comment to let me know how it turned out! (Recipe adapted from 40 Aprons.)
Creamy Clam Chowder
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 large white onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch (or any starch)
- 4 red potatoes unpeeled
- 1 cup clam juice
- 3 6.5-oz cans of clams (can use minced or whole)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 dashes cayenne (adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh chives minced
- In a medium pot, heat 1 cup chicken broth to a boil. Once boiling, turn off heat, and add the cashews. Set aside.
- In a large heavy bottom saucepan, cook bacon until crispy. Pour out all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease. Allow bacon to cool on a plate lined with paper towel. Once cool, roughly chop.
- Heat bacon grease to medium. Add onion and celery and cook until just soft, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle tapioca starch, stir. Add remaining chicken broth, stir. Add potatoes, clam juice, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Blend cashew/broth mixture in a high speed blender until smooth. Add to the saucepan.
- Add salt, pepper, cayenne, and sherry vinegar. Stir well. Simmer a few more minutes and serve with bacon and chives.